This collectible series was not planned. A friend needed a lace design with a center that would support lettering. This is how it started. It has been a long time since I made lace. So I went about working on it. It turned out so nice I decided to make it a series.
My friend Dee has graciously offered to sew these for me in various projects. This is a great help to me, especially for a series that was not on my schedule. I have sewn all of the letter W projects myself and know they sew very well.
Just So You Know
- The first letter is W because that is what all my sew outs have and it’s my last name – smiles.
- When a letter is released it will be a free gift with the purchase of $5. US or more
- After 7 days it will be available for sale in the $3.99 Shoppe.
- And a new letter will be available as a free gift with the purchase of $5. US or more.
- To add a bit of fun I will not be releasing these in sequential order. We’re going to jump around a bit.
If there is a letter you want done sooner rather than later email me.
To my surprise I found these designs to be versatile in that they can be used different ways:
- They can be sewn on fabric sewing just the frame and lettering
- They can be sewn on fabric sewing the frame, lettering, and the lace fill (See my blue and white dinner napkin.)
- They can be sewn on towels or other similar fabrics using the lace fill for the embossing before the rest of the design sews. (See my white towel with Turquoise embroidery.)
- They are FSL – Sew the whole design using the letter of your choice or without the letter
The lace is firm but not thick. It will hold it’s shape even after all the water soluble stabilizer has been washed out. No stiffening is needed. I think you will not be disappointed with the quality of these designs.
Sew just the letter on a hankie or place mat . . . That’s why I’ve included them separately, for your convenience, a large and a small letter. These 2 letters are NOT free standing lace on their own.
10 page pdf with lots of pictures and detailed instructions
5 Designs total:
- 4-inch round design
- 5-inch oval design
- 4-inch oval design (same as the 5-inch just rotated in the hoop)
- Small letter
- Large letter
Notions I Used
For best results use the notions I used
- Vilene water-soluble stabilizer for the lace – just one layer is needed
- Madeira Polyneon #40 embroidery threads in the top for all projects
- Wonderfil #80 pre-wound bobbins for all the projects *
- Size-12 topstitch needle for all projects
- Medium weight, soft tear-away stabilizer, 2 layers for projects sewn on fabric
- Medium weight, soft tear-away stabilizer, 1 layer for projects on towels
*A Few Notes about Wonderfil Bobbin Threads
- Wonderfil bobbin threads are fine weight.
- For this reason using them makes designs much less dense.
- With a lower top tension it nearly disappears on the backside.
- I used a cream color bobbin on my lace designs. You have to look close to see it.
- I love this feature because it makes the lace reversible without having to switch out the bobbin color to match what is sewing on the top.
Psst! Checkout my new Handcrafted Shoppe and let me know what you think.
“I have amazing news for you. Man is not alone on this planet. He is part of a community, upon which he depends absolutely.”