“Wake up little Susie, wake up”
~~~ A link to purchase ‘Baby’ Susie 4×4 is at the bottom of this page ~~~
I’ve been hanging onto this idea for a long time. I don’t know why it has taken me so long to make one. Maybe hearing people say they are sick of them. There are a lot of them available. But I still like them and wanted to make this one not so much for quilting but dressing her up a bit with specialty stitches. From the response to Susie I made Little Susie for folks who want Susie but cannot sew a design that large.
I make many of my own stitches. In this case the wing needle stitches, the eyelets, and the woven fill on her hat.
On the product page be sure to zoom in to see the details.
Baby Susie says, “Watch my video“
My friend Dee test sewed her for me. She used a wing needle for the blue dress but a regular needle for her eyelet smock and everything else.
She changed the colors a bit so we can tell them apart – smiles
READ MORE ABOUT MY SUN BONNETS IN MY POST
- Medium weight 100% cotton or cotton/linen blend fabric or embroidery blank – I used a table runner embroidery blank of medium weight cotton with a wide hemstitched edge. Wing Needle stitches sew best on natural fabrics where the wing part of the needle can separate the fibers of the fabric. I do not recommend polyester, acrylic, or man made fabrics.
- Medium weight soft tear away stabilizer – I used 2 layers
- Wing Needle – I used size 100 Schmetz. ( Note I sewed this design without a wing needle because so many people ask me how it would look if they were sewn without a wing needle.
- OR a large jeans needle will give the same effect just not as dramatic but still very pretty.
To find out if you can use a wing needle please visit my tutorial.
- Top Stitch Needle – I used size 12 Schmetz
- Machine Embroidery threads #40 weight – colors desired.
- Little Susie – Wing Needle Sunbonnet Sue
- 100×100 (4×4)
- Formats EXP, HUS, JEF, PES, VIP, VP3
- Includes PDF instructions
Zoom in on the pictures for her details and the stitches I made for her