“Wake up little Susie, wake up”
~~~ A link to purchase ‘LIttle’ Susie 5×7 is at the bottom of this page ~~~
I’ve been hanging onto this idea for a long time. I don’t know why it has taken me so long to make one. Maybe hearing people say they are sick of them. There are a lot of them available. But I still like them and wanted to make this one not so much for quilting but dressing her up a bit with specialty stitches. From the response to Susie I made Little Susie for folks who want Susie but cannot sew a design that large.
I make many of my own stitches. In this case the wing needle stitches, the eyelets, and the woven fill on her hat.
This 5×7 design I changed the colors a bit so I can tell one from the other. Smiles
Little Susie, Sunbonnet Sue 5×7 I did not sew Little Susie with a wing needle because I get so many asking me how it would look if sewn with a regular needle. I used a size 12 topstitch needle to sew this design. Go to the larger Susie – Wing Needle Sunbonnet Sue to see how it looks sewn with a wing needle.
On the product page be sure to zoom in to see the details.
- Medium weight 100% cotton or cotton/linen blend fabric or embroidery blank – I used a table runner embroidery blank of medium weight cotton with a wide hemstitched edge. Wing Needle stitches sew best on natural fabrics where the wing part of the needle can separate the fibers of the fabric. I do not recommend polyester, acrylic, or man made fabrics.
- Medium weight soft tear away stabilizer – I used 2 layers
- Wing Needle – I used size 100 Schmetz. ( Note I sewed this design without a wing needle because so many people ask me how it would look if they were sewn without a wing needle.
- OR a large jeans needle will give the same effect just not as dramatic but still very pretty.
To find out if you can use a wing needle please visit my tutorial.
- Top Stitch Needle – I used size 12 Schmetz
- Machine Embroidery threads #40 weight – colors desired. I used:
- white to match the fabric
- pale blue, light blue
- pale pink, light pink
- flesh, flesh 2 shades darker for outlines & details
- cream for the white areas
- Light tan for details over cream areas
- 2 shades darker than cream for shade under her brim
- light red brown for shoes
- light pink for flowers
- soft yellow for flower center
- Little Susie – Wing Needle Sunbonnet Sue
- 111 x 170 mm (5×7)
- Formats EXP, HUS, JEF, PES, VIP, VP3
- Includes PDF instructions
Zoom in on the pictures for her details and the stitches I made for her
I want ‘Baby’ Susie Wing Needle Sunbonnet Sue 4×4!
I want ‘Little’ Susie Wing Needle Sunbonnet Sue 5X7!
I want the large Susie Wing Needle Sunbonnet Sue 6×10!