I made these compasses to go into the Birds of a Feather Quilt Project. See the photo of the Navy quilt that accompanies this collection
These designs are Hoop N Quilt – free-standing applique designs.
How to Make it a free standing applique:
- The last thread change is an outline around the whole design for adding a facing fabric on top. I generally use a light weight permanent interfacing. sew the outline.
- Remove it from the machine and from the hoop.
- Trim the excess fabrics from the outside edge leaving about 1/8th to 1/16th of an inch – not much.
- Cut into the interfacing (a nice size X). Turn it right side out
- Press the edges. Roll it between your thumb and index finger to get it flush with the seam at the edge of the piece.
- It is ready to be appliqued onto your project. Use a zig zag stitch, blind hem stitch, or any other appropriate stitch (i.e. briar or feather stitch).